Strawberry Hill was created by Chris Blackwell and is part of the Island Outpost family of premiere hotels in Jamaica (which in fact just won the most luxurious villa in the Caribbean). Try the luxurious Blackwell Rum Cake at home today
4large eggs,3 large egg yolks,1/2 cup Blackwell rum, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract,1 teaspoon almond extract, 2-1/2 cups cake flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt , 1cup unsalted butter(softened)
Ingredients for the glaze:
1/2 unsalted butter, 1/4 cup water, 1 cup granulated sugar,1/4 cup dark Blackwell rum
1) Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 F . Grease a 12- cup pan with butter. Add a tablespoon of flour to the pan; rotate and shake the pan until it is evenly coated with flour, then tap out any excess flour over the sink.
2) Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, rum, vanilla extract and almond extract in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3) Place the cake flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on low speed for about 30 seconds to combine. Add the butter and beat on low speed for about 2 minutes, or until the ingredients are well combined .
4) Add one-third of the liquid ingredients and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, then stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add another third of the liquid and mix on low speed until just combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, then stop the mixer and scrape again . Add the remaining liquid and beat and scrape as before.
5) Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 65-75 minutes.
6) Cool the cake on a rack for ten minutes.
7) While the cake cools, make the glaze. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the water and sugar and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 5minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum.
8) Using a toothpick, poke holes all over the bottom of the cake about ½-inch apart. Brush or spoon half of the glaze over the cake and let it soak in. If the glaze pools on the surface, poke more holes to help it sink in. Invert the cake onto the rack and use the toothpick to poke more holes all over the top. Gradually brush the remaining rum glaze evenly over the top and sides of the cake, letting it sink in as you go. Let sit for at least one hour before serving.
New Castle Road
Irish Town, St. Andrew
Toll Free: (800) 232-4972
Tel: (876) 944-8400
Tel: (876) 619-7872